Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Monday, November 2, 2009

The fort and blue city

I went to the fort yesterday, it was quite amazing. The structure itself is built into the rock and then towers high above. It has never been taken over in an attack, due to the way it was built. One thing they did was make the approach to the main gate so that there is a 90 degree turn just before the huge gates so that the enemy could not get up momentum with any kind of ramrod. The purdah sections were very interesting, the screens are hand worked metal screens each with it's own design. There is an audio tour, so I could wander at my own pace. At one point I was sitting on a rock step and an Indian family came by and asked if they could take my photo! Then they wanted a photo of their daughter with me. What a hoot! Very nice people, nice contrast to much of what I've run into here. Went down from the fort by way of the old 'road' laid with huge stones, through some of the blue houses. Interesting stuff.

Felt kind of puny during the day and by evening was in trouble. I went to dinner with Philip and Valerie, and felt like I was going to pass out. I did not want to let on that I was feeling so bad so I tried to tough it out. Didn't want the evening to end, but felt so bad. Long night, fever, sore throat, light headed. Better enough today to get on the train. I don't like feeling sick in a strange country.

Philip is the man who rode in on the same bus, we ended up at the same hotel, and did some exploring in the markets. Valerie is a 70+ year old woman who is traveling on her own! Very nice people. Both are from Englad, but now Philip lives in Australia and Valerie lives in the US. On to Ajmer...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Irene, I am so sorry you are feeling sick. Please be sure and get tons of rest, that's the only thing that will keep you going! Good luck. Love reading your posts.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete