Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Saturday, November 7, 2009

dung and sugar cane

No visit to the Palace Hotel unfortunately, they are currently not taking any bookings for dinner unless you are a guest of their hotel.  That costs something like $400/night for the rooms without a view, and I'm not willing to pay it, so no James Bond experience there for me. 

Today I am off to the bazaars to do some shopping.  I have only a couple of days left in India, and so I'm going to buy a cheap suitcase/bag and stuff it with treasures to bring back with me.  The area around my hotel is very touristy and has lots of shops that cater to tourists but they are not the ones I want to shop at.  Yesterday I discovered by accident the Mandi Market, and saw some interesting things.  For instance, I was wandering aimlessly down little side streets and came upon a home where an old woman was sitting out front working with something that at first glance looks like clay, to make some jug shaped things that are open at the top and bottom and have a small rounded hole at the bottom as well (I took pictures that will explain this much better).  Anyway, the man came out and from our combined gestures and a few words, it appears these are used for cooking.  The sort of 'mouse hole' at the bottom is where they put the sticks or other fuel and the pot sits on top.  Also, after looking around a bit more, it was apparent that this device is molded from dried and reconstituted manure, with some additives, I am sure.  I also saw chapati makers made of cow dung.  Also saw patties (hand formed, mind you) of cow dung drying to be used as fuel.  No waste!

Then as I wandered on, I came to another open area where a lot of women were working on weaving with split stalks of sugar cane, making baskets and other implements.  One man sat there splitting the canes with his machete.

Everywhere I went down those streets, the children and some of the women wanted me to take their photos, not for money but just to see them.  One group of women asked me to take their photo, which I did, then I showed it to them, and they laughed and chattered!  So fun.  Everyone said hello, or good morning, or one pen.  While I am careful of my pockets and bag, I felt safe walking through those streets.

So wish me luck, I'm going to go take a tuk tuk and find some other shopping areas near by the Mandi Market.

I have a flight to Delhi on the 10th, and am hoping to have dinner with Pete and Solvi that evening.  I hadn't emailed them yet as I just firmed up my final days' plans.  I can't believe it's almost over already, I just got here and just got my feet on the ground.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure it seems to have flown by, it always does when you travel. I of course look forward to your return and I'm glad you've found it to be so enjoyable. I know Pete and Solvi will enjoy your visit so hopefully it works out. Have you developed the jowls of a st bernard as well?! Much love and safe travels. See you in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, one takes about 3 days just to adjust to the time change...
    you have done great with traveling in spite of this...
    love
    kathleen

    ReplyDelete