Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

pockets and bus rides

Both of my pairs of pants have extra pockets that either zip or snap closed.  Like most foreign travelers, I have a system.  The bottom left pocket is for 500 rupees notes, the bottom right is for 100 rupee notes and the top right is for small bills and change.  That way you don't flash a wad every time you buy a bottle of water.  The top left pocket is for kleenex, thanks to my cold.  I'm Rudolph right now and the tissue here is none too soft.

Then there is either a money belt around the waist or the neck for travel days and some people also have a belt with a zipper compartment or socks with a pocket.

Important stuff goes in the little day bag.  Clothes and things I can live without go in the pack.

I rode from Ajmer to Bundi today on the bus, the only tourist and I can see why.  We stopped a lot.  a lot.  And since I did not know a) how long the stop was or b) who I could ask, I just stayed on the bus.  I bought some food through the window though.  A girl who was traveling with her older sister and others came back to the seat beside me part way through the trip to chat with me.  She speaks little english, and it's different than any I've heard before.  For instance "wayona" is what is your name.  So anyway, we traded names and she told me she was13 -I think.  I could not understand where she lives but she invited me to come home with them.  She signalled her big sister and a little boy who is some sort of relation back to meet me and shake hands too.  Another business card from Sonoma Bank is now residing in an Indian home. 

2 comments:

  1. Irene,
    Several of us are living vicariously (sp?) through you. Your stories are amazing and you have once again confirmed just how brave you are. Can wait to hear what happens next!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene, one of your other readers commented how brave you are.... so true. You are really going it "on your own" - no pre-packaged tour. Really, that is the way to travel. You have to get off the beaten path to see and experience. And, it is scary. But it is honest and true. I have a friend who is from India....he is from one of the higher castes. He learned English from Englishmen (Britain) and he sometimes seems to speak better than me. Anyway, I wonder if the Indians still get taught by Brits. That doesn't explain wayona.... Anyway, sounds like you are sick, but once you get back here in the states...your memories will be priceless. Christine

    ReplyDelete