Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

time and being alone

Time goes by so quickly on trips like this. You spend a fair amount of time figuring out your next move, and how to get there, finding a place to stay, eat, blog, and whatever else you want to do. You have to think of that stuff as part of the experience, not just the means to an end. There are so many places to go, each having it's own draw. But I did not want to race around constantly, changing hotels every day so I've moved every 2 or 3 days. Plus the traveling itself, whether by bus or train, is tiring and generally at least partly a grind. I can see where that part might be easier with a companion. But I do like wandering the cities on my own. I suppose, if you were traveling with someone who was willing to be on their own part of the time, that would probably be the best of both worlds-that's assuming you can agree on where to go!

As has happened before, I already can't wait to plan my next trip. This is addictive!! It's hard to describe the allure of going places I've never been and seeing things I've never seen, but it's something I hope to be able to do for many years to come.

I have been talking with fellow travelers and I hear about how much vacation time most of the rest of the western world gets-wow. They all seem to get at least 6 weeks and that's without any seniority on the job. We Americans definitely don't have the work/life balance thing pegged.

I heard a lot about how tough it is for a woman to travel alone here before I came. I was a bit nervous about it, because I heard so much. However, it's definitely doable. Sure, you get hassled, and stared at, but other than my first hotel, I have felt safe everywhere I go. I get tired of the looks, but I remind myself that I'm an intruder in their world, and I take breaks either in my room or the rooftop or some other place when it starts to make my cranky.

Also, I have met some other travelers who I hope will become friends. I guess some part of my dad has rubbed off on me. I strike up conversations with other travelers if they look at all willing to chat when I am in a restaurant, or a bus or train. Sometimes it's just where are you from, where are you going, we share our views of the places we've been so far (that's how I heard about Bundi) and how long you're in India for. Often we don't even trade names. If I was not on my own, I would be less inclined to chat like that.

Thank you everyone for your comments, it's helpful to know someone is reading this!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Irene - I'm hoping since we're not hearing more about your illness that it has passed? Hope so. I'm so moved by your observations of the people and culture - you certainly pose some deep and perplexing questions about the "haves" and "have nots" on such a global scale. It seems India remains entrenched in its caste system no? Would love to talk more about it with you when you return home.

    Know that we're thinking of you - SWOT is just not the same without you!! (Oh did I mention SWOT? Forget it! Sorry...no work thoughts!!) but we do miss you all the same. STAY SAFE! and keep writing! Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's almost midnight in India so I trust you're resting well. It's been very fun following you on the map, feels almost as if we're seeing what you are. Definitely enjoying the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I was bummed all day yesterday when there nothing posted for me to read. I'm extremely intrigued with your posts, you give us such a wonderful snapshot of what is going on, I do feel as though I'm there. Stay safe, have fun and we'll be seeing you soon (well, not too soon)!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy, I don't even remember what SWOT means! Just kidding, but I do feel very far away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, grasshopper, most intriguing narrative of your travels. I'm glad to now meet the creative & talented author in you!
    Miss you
    DG

    ReplyDelete