Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Saturday, November 7, 2009

morning in Udaipur

My room in Udaipur has 32 light/power switches and that doesn't count a whole other panel in the bathroom.  For some reason this is the norm so far, and most of the switches don't actually operate anything.  The master switch is outside the door of the room, so if you have left for a while, they will turn off the power.  They know you have left because the locking system is large padlocks and if you are inside you would use the deadbolt inside, but the padlock would not be on the door.  They also don't explain this to you, you just figure it out when you come back and there is no power.

Up this morning at dawn, not by choice, but now that I'm up, I came out on the roof top to look at the lake.  The city center is a lake, around which there are ghats, temples, palaces and other buildings.  For those who are James Bond afficionados, this is where parts of Octopussy were filmed.  I'm going to dinner tomorrow evening out on the island at the Palace, minimum charge 3,300 rupees just to go there to eat!  The Monsoon Mansion high up on the hill was also used, it was the villain's home in the movie.

This morning is the first time I've used my fleece jacket on this trip, other than in the airplane.  But it did not stay cool long.  This is the furthest south I've gone, but I'm not really clear on the weather patterns by location here anyway.  And since my wardrobe choices are distinctly limited, I just get dressed and then find out how much I'm going to sweat today.

This city is referred to as the Venice of Asia.  If it weren't a sure path to an accident, I'd rent a motorbike and ride around town.  But between me being distracted by looking around, and oddly placed holes in the road, other drivers and pedestrians, I am not going to even consider it.  I'm hungry but apparently no one else is because nothing seems to be open yet.

3 comments:

  1. We should have sent you with a GPS tracker, that way I could locate you on google earth! I have been looking at the places you've been, it's very fun! Pete and Solvi just returned from Varanasi and Khajuraho so you guys can trade stories and photos when you get to Delhi if you're able to connect. We had a fun dinner for Emily last night, we missed you! Do you have a ride on Wed or would you like one. I will definitely pick you up if you are planning on riding the airporter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like more than one of us wants to be the first to greet you upon your return - I'll certainly defer to your brother! Then too, you may want to 'come down' from your trip and return to our environment with a few hours alone on the Airporter.

    Your tales have been a daily joy - you're my new traveling hero, Irene. I sent your blog to my daughter as I'm sure she'll identify with many of your situations from her 5-month solo cycling trip.

    I empathize with the conflict of traveling alone, experiencing the joy of the solitude and contact with locals that you might not have with a companion vs. just having someone to travel with.

    Enjoy the remainder of your travel time,
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yahoo! I found a moment to read your travel adventures. I am happy for this moment and happy you are sharing you experiences.

    ReplyDelete