Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bundi

Today is the first day of a festival in Bundi, and it began this morning up the hill at the entrance to the old palace, which is amazing. I don't know how they built these huge things into a rock wall so many years ago! At any rate, the festival. They laid down some large colored fabric. Picture an old cobbled road made from large rocks, not very many of which are flat on the surface. Then lay a cloth over it so you can't see where you are stepping. OSHA would have a field day. Anyway, there were many notables at the event, with elaborate turbans and a small band that consisted of a bagpipe player, a flute player and drums. Then there were prayers and chants as more participants gathered, some of which were dressed in costumes, plus more bands. Then eventually the procession began it's way down the hill and through town. Us tourists were all taking photos, but no one seemed to mind. This town is not on the tourist trail for westerners, so they are welcoming and nice. In fact, this whole town is a pretty nice place. It still has quite a bit of trash, but no beggars!! and my hotel room is clean and comfortable. I even have hot water. There are almost no restaurants in town except for the roof top ones associated with the guest houses. The one I am staying in is a haveli-a converted old home, very nice. The center of the 2nd and 3rd floors is open with a grate to the ground floor, which allows light and air all through the building. In these older cities, everyone built very closely together, so the ventilation is much better with this setup. The rooftops are sort of like the back yards of America. The family that runs my hotel is a young couple with an 8 yr old son and a 2 yr old daughter. They both speak english and are very helpful. The wife did henna on my right arm, not sure if it will last til I get home but it's cool to look at now. While she was doing my arm, her daughter, who loves to 'bindi', was putting henna on a couple of tourist guys who were sitting nearby. The little girl has little flower designs on the top of her feet, which her mom had done for her.

I'm heading down to the festival grounds this afternoon, after the heat of the day has passed, and may get a little shopping done. I only have one more city after this one, other than Delhi. I don't think I'll get to Delhi in time to do much shopping, so I think I should get started. I've enjoyed having little baggage thus far, but will probably pick up a bag here or in Udaipur to carry some 'stuff'.

Train to Chattargauh (sp?) in the morning, then via bus to Udaipur. I hope to get a flight from Udaipur to Delhi, or failing that, a sleeper train.

No comments:

Post a Comment