Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Monday, November 2, 2009

Do overs

One of the things about travel is sort of like an evening when you have more than one party to go to. Sometimes you end up leaving a great party to go to another one, and end up regretting it. But you never know til you know.

Arriving in Ajmer was a grind-hot dirty city, bad traffic, polution and trash. Just like all the cities so far I guess. The railway station was packed, had to shoulder into the mass and then just go with it, pack on my back and daybag in front.

The train ride was about 5 1/2 hrs, and the first 3 were great. The train was fairly empty and I saw some beautiful country. There is no glass in the windows of the 2nd class non AC, which I was in, so I got a nice breeze too. Then we got to Marwar Junction and changed directions and suddenly I was going backwards. Some of you know how car sick I get...not fun. The train filled up too, so no chance to change positions. Anyway, chunks contained! Wishing I'd stayed another day in Jodhpur, but too late now. I may change my itinerary yet again. I've changed it at least twice so far.

You may have already read about India's railway stations, how people just seem to camp out or live there. They sleep in the middle of the floor, usually on a blanket or rug, but not always. In addition, everything is filthy and sticky, the restrooms are abominable and you have to watch your back. Other than that, it's a piece of cake! So far in my limited experience, the bus stations are easier to deal with, they remind me of central American bus stations, except the people are not generally as helpful. I'm hoping to get to Bundi tomorrow, which means I need to go to the bus station today to scope out the options. First I have to go back to my hotel to check in. They said they were having a lunch break and asked me to come back in an hour. But since they let me leave my pack there, I didn't mind, I was hungry anyway.

I'm thinking I'll need a vacation from my vacation when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment