Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Friday, November 6, 2009

Sweat, pee and water

Dennis always used to say 'traveling is hard work' and it is. It's also rewarding, but there has come a time in every journey here in India where I am soaked with sweat, uncertain what to do next, tired, hungry or have to go to the bathroom and wondering why I want to do it the hard way! Then again, I am not sure there is really an easy way here. When you are that hot, you want a lot of water, but when you are trapped on the bus, you don't want to feed the other end of that process-trying to put it delicately, sorry if I offend!

Took the train from Bundi to Chattargarh then whooshed over to the bus station via tuk-tuk and got a seat on a bus leaving right away for Udaipur. No time for food or bathroom, oh well, it's only 2-3 hours, right?

The train ride was lovely, through countryside being farmed mostly with manual labor. I saw women in saris threshing long stalks of grain, and oxen pulling some sort of plow. Very neat.

I was dripping sweat when I got on the bus, and until it moved, there was no breeze. To add to the fun, you would not believe how many people you can cram on a bus if you really want to. I was in a front seat on the 2 seat side with another westerner. Across the aisle in the 3 seat side, there were 3 women and 3 children. The aisles were jammed with standees most of the trip. I kept doing the bobble head thing, which perhaps was some sort of entertainment for other passengers.

Someone asked how I'm feeling. It started out as a wicked cold, now just the usual, so I'm ok. No tissue to be found in any stores so I keep a roll of toilet paper with me. I brought 2 with me, but they are long gone, but at least I can buy that here.

Off to explore now that I'm settled, showered, bladder emptied and fed.

3 comments:

  1. Im glad you seem to be having a great time exploring!! I think of you often! Love you! Tabby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene,
    I have read all your posts and love them! thanks for sharing so articulately the India experience. It brings it all back for me. Great way to document your trip!
    Love
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irene,

    I am catching up on you blogs and thouroughly enjoying hearing of your adventures. I know what you mean about a vacation from your vacation.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete