Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Train to Irkutsk

My window seat on the train turned out to be on the side away from the lake, despite my efforts to get a lake-side seat. So I spent a couple of hours in the dining car, which I had to myself other than the staff. I didn't get great photos because the windows were really dirty. The train ride was about 7 1/2 hours. Nobody who spoke English on the train, nor so far in Irkutsk, except at my hotel..

I'm taking the Circumbaikal Railway tour tomorrow, so I felt free to take a nap on the train today, and also didn't worry so much about the lack of a lake-view seat. More to come about Lake Baikal tomorrow.




I saw a lot of what I think were dachas outside Irkutsk with fantastic gardens, with riots of color from flowers, families harvesting  big piles of potatoes, and the cabbage still standing in rows of bright green orbs. There were hummocks of hay here and there in the fields as well, and I wanted to get off the train and walk through the gardens.





Arrival in Irkutsk was painless because I'd scheduled someone to pick me up from the hotel, and there he was, with a sign that said "Irene Flack" - I felt slightly famous for a second.

Natalia, my hotel is near the Circus and Kirov Square. I walked down Rossiyskaya, Stepana Razina, and Sverdlova this evening before ending up on Bulvar Gagarina, which I followed to Karla Marksa. I can see why you love this city so- aside from it being where you grew up, it's a beautiful city.

















3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this wonderful trip along the streets I know and remember from I was 6.... I am crying.... Thank you again and again!
    Please remember my friend Natasha is in Irkutsk right now. Please call her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalia, I meant to email Natasha ahead of time but forgot. I'm out all day today on that lake tour, but will try to reach her the next day. I thought of you a lot as I was walking around Irkutsk, about how it really should be you here.

    ReplyDelete