Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

"I want one of those"

This evening I stopped in a cafeteria style restaurant on my way back to the hotel for the night, and encountered a young man who deliberately hid behind the stacks of containers in order to avoid dealing with me. So I peered over the top and said something to him, to force him to let me order by pointing (the food was all laid out between us). A young lady behind me in line heard me speaking in English, and immediately spoke up and asked if I could use some help translating. She then proceeded to very patiently help me get my food. While the man's approach was annoying, her unsolicited kindness more than took the sting out of the experience.

What added an interesting twist is that the entire time I was eating, the music playing was all in English.

I know I'm in Russia where Russian is the primary language, and I can't expect anyone to speak my language. Fortunately for me, latte sounds pretty much the same in any language I've encountered.

No comments:

Post a Comment