Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

As I walked down the street one day. . .

Another walking day today, all around the center of UB. My feet are telling me about it now. One of the longer jaunts took me to the train station- if I figured out the buses, I could ride a bus there, but I'm leery of the tight quarters when I am carrying so much cash, plus I took my passport along for booking a ticket. Also I haven't figured out which bus goes where, and I'm not here long enough to bother.

The train ticket attempt was unsuccessful but interesting. I was sent from window 5 to window 3  and then to window 1 in search of someone who spoke English. The woman at 1 didn't either, but there was a very nice man who was purchasing his own ticket who translated for us. I was squashed up against the window, bent over to talk with the woman, the translator was immediately on my left, and there was a man about two inches from my right, and another directly behind me while we struggled to understand each other. I guess it was entertaining. Ultimately I gave it up- I was trying to book a leg between Darkhan and Dulaankhan (which I not only can't pronounce but also can't remember without having it written down) but that leg runs from 2 am to 6 am, and I'm pretty sure I don't really want to do that. On to plan B, which is most likely a shared ride or my own car/driver setup.

I was successful, however, in exchanging the remaining Chinese yuan I'd been carrying around at the train station. So then I had 500,000 tugrik in my bag, which made me feel a bit uncomfortable, even though I know it's only $200 US. 500,000 anything seems like at lot, doesn't it? I feel a little rich.

Tomorrow's challenge will be getting to the Dragon Center, from whence go the buses to Darkhan, with my bags, on a busy, crowded bus. I might just get a taxi, I don't know.

I walk around all day sounding out the signs in Cyrillic, but of course once I am successful at that, I still don't know what they say. But I can't stop.

You know how you don't know what you don't know until you come to know it? Well, for me and traveling, it's generally when it's too late to be useful information. A case in point- the place I'm staying. It's a disappointment, not as well located as I'd like, has almost none of the things I seek for in a hotel or guesthouse (except fast internet), and all that would be ok if it was what was available, as was the case in Ulgii.

I came here on the recommendation of a traveler I met on the train, and for two nights, it's ok. I will sound like I"m complaining by cataloging its shortcomings, but what the heck: no heat (I slept half in my sleeping bag under the one blanket last night and during the evening I had to put on my coat), no toilet paper provided, no common area to sit in, no chair in my room- on furniture except the bed and one end table, no frig in the kitchen, the walk back to it from the street is a little intimidating in the dark (and I don't think I'm that easily bothered by such things). I regret the choice, but it's only for two days, and not worth doing anything about. Onward, ho!

 The walk to my 'home' includes navigating a small river. :) This is especially fun in the dark.

These traffic cops delight me with their cadence, baton twirling and fearlessness

Do you spy what I spy? What a surprise to see this- and visit it later when it opened

Here's a souvenir I won't be bringing home.

My second coffee of the morning, in the top floor of the State Department Store, an apparent relic from days of Soviet influence. It was a lovely view over the city anyway.

There are street signs after all at a few intersections- you just have to know where to look for them.


2 comments:

  1. I assume you were referring to the Korean Restaurant?! Oh look a book store! Sounds like it's getting chilly there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I actually found two English language bookstores, both by accident as I was wandering.

      Delete