Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Layers work better in California

What a difference a few degrees make.  I went to the Kremlin this morning, in a biting wind, and temps around 5 degrees Celcius.  (Kevin, I know you are laughing at me now)

I had on two shirts, my fleece jacket and my windbreaker/rain jacket, and it was not enough. I know I grew up in Alaska and northern Wisconsin, but my blood has gotten used to California.  I at least had the sense to laugh at myself.

The Kremlin is a very large, very well kept fortress, and of course we only get to see a small portion of it.  In fact, the only buildings you can go in are the churches.  Note that going inside buildings was a priority for me today.  I invented all kinds of reasons on and off all day to pop in a store (see below).  Anyway, back to the Kremlin.  I had read that the Ivan the Great Belltower was not to be missed, and that it required an extra ticket.  But when I inquired about it, I  was told that it was closed today due to the wind.  Oh well.  I would have had to sit through a 45 minute presentation in Russian (no other languages offered) if I had gotten in, so maybe not so bad.  But warm, it would have been warm.

The surprising thing about the proliferation of churches inside the Kremlin walls is knowing the prior view of the Communist state regarding religion. I know that it is now tolerated, and in fact I am surprised at the number of people I see praying at churches I have visited, but during the Communist era at least, religion was heavily discouraged.  I am surprised that the cathedrals are still there, and that the old paintings, murals and icons still exist as well.  In the Assumption (Dormition) Cathedral, you can see where the Tsar and Tsarina sat, and there are several patriarchs' tombs around the church.  The custom seems to have been to paint various religious figures and scenes all over the walls, archways and ceilings, and these have very high ceilings.  Some of the pictures use a sort of tin.  One of the paintings I saw dates from the 1400's.  Supposedly when Hitler was advancing on Moscow, Stalin ordered a secret service in the cathedral to protect the city, so perhaps there was some residual belief that prevented the destruction of the trappings of the Orthodox Church.

Along the front of the Kremlin, the Alexander Garden is beautiful, with fountains, plantings, and wide boulevards for strolling.  Fortunately I was there on a warmer day, because I did not linger today.  There is an amazing world underground, and on a day like today, that was helpful.

I alternated walking above ground, below ground, in stores, stopping for coffee and taking the Metro all day.  I wanted to see ul. Arbat, or Arbat Street, a pedestrian street with artists, musicians, and of course lots of shops.  I took the Metro, but as usual had trouble geting oriented when I got up top.  When I got to the street, I began stopping in cheesy souvenir shops every block to view yet more nesting dolls, because the stores are WARM.  I mean really warm.  Earlier in the day I went to a book store (ok, more than one), and I got so hot inside all my layers, it actually felt good to walk outside for about 5 seconds.

I am sitting in my room typing this, while the other people who live here are fighting in the kitchen.  It's in Russian, so that lends a bit of privacy in spite of the thin walls.

I am meeting Catherine, Sabine's cousin, tomorrow late morning, and tomorrow evening I get on the train for Almaty, and then on to Urumqi.  I am certain I won't have wi-fi on the train, so thought I would give you the scoop now about my next few days.

Almaty is in Kazakhstan, and I will be on the train for 3 nights getting there.  Apparently it is quite a distance.  Hence the visit to the bookstores today.  I hope to meet people on the train, but I think I will have plenty of time for reading too.  I will be in Almaty one night, going on the next to Urumqi, China.  The reason for the one day delay is that the train to Urumqi only goes twice a week.  Since I will be transiting back through Almaty when I leave China, it should be helpful to have already gotten the lay of the land.  I do not have a hotel there, just figure I will find something close to the train station.  

I have a little phrase book, so I can learn how to say hotel in Kazak.  Also since Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan both are former Soviet republics, a lot of people speak Russian.  Not that I do, but I do have the alphabet almost down.  And I know how to say thank you, and count to 8.  What more could I need?

I am riding in a four person sleeping compartment, which could be really good, or not so much.  I am really uncertain how much to worry about securing my bags, but I doubt I can do a lot anyway.  I will keep my money, passport and electronics in my day bag, and money belt, and I'll carry those with me always, including sleeping with them.  Beyond that, if someone wants my dirty laundry or toothpaste, I am unwilling to worry too much about it.  

I tried to exchange some of my dollars for some Kazak and Chinese currency here, but none of the exchange places seem to have anything but Russian rubles, Euros and US Dollars.  

I think my entry into Almaty and into Urumqi are the two most intimidating parts of this trip.  I will be sure to let you know how it goes.

8 comments:

  1. Oh boy... I think I am now intimidated by that 3 night train trip and the burning curiosity of the upcoming leg. I have had terrifying thoughts of the unknown every time I take on another of my ridiculous adventures but I pep talk myself with my favorite saying so I will share it with you: Fear is interest on a debt you may not owe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that concept Abigail but I fear it only works if you already beleive it! Irene you're in for a penny in for a pound. Very excited, you've wanted to visit that part of Asia for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clay, funny that you use the "fear" word in your comment!! I don't know if I believe in the concept as such but as you point out, this is something Irene has always wanted to do so fear, or the lack thereof is irrelevant. At least she didn't do it bungee jumping style :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't stress out too much, of course, it is always uncertainty in it. Keep your money & passport in the belt with you all the time. You are in a certain age so that there is less risk of attack as well. I am sure it will go well.
    You are meeting Sabine's cousin before you leave the country.
    You are very brave to do this journey alone!... wait to hear more story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adventure! The only bad thing about staying on the move is that just about the time you figure out what needs figuring out, you are off to figure something else out. Hmmm...sounds a lot like life in general. Go for it!
    Let's see...5 C is about 41 F, correct? A little chilly but add some wind and it sure does get the teeth chattering! Your Cali blood only "seems" chill but Mother Nature is the real deal. I guess that's an inherent problem of travelling light, you can't take clothing for every situation. It's interesting to note what different travelers deem important to know in a given foreign tongue. Before we left for Italy I had a couple of key phrases memorized: Dove' il bagno? (Where's the bathroom?) and Voglio del vino rosso! (I need red wine!) I guess knowing "hotel" would have been a good idea in retrospect, along with "how the hell do I buy a train ticket?" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another issue with being on the move is finding time to do laundry, or get it done by someone else. Because four days in the same shirt is just too many! I can read place names in Russian, which only helps if there are actually street signs to read. I learned how to say thank you in Kazak today, but it is a bit confusing here-a lot of people speak Russian, and so I don't know whether to say "spaseeba" or "rakhmet". Often what comes out is "thank you" because I am not quick enough to decide what to use!

      Delete
  6. I love the current photo, the colors almost cartoonish, only the statue in the left corner stating how real. From the mundane to the profound, riveted by your observations, Irene. Terrie, Annette and I pass in the halls and ask if we've read the latest. Take care, continue to keep us all posted as we live vicariously and wish you well,
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your amazing adventure!!! Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete