Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself." Kierkegaard

It occurs to me that the biggest part of how I experience this place is how I approach it, what I bring to it. It is a given that I do not speak Chinese or Uyghur. This will define the outer limits of what I can do, but it need not define the experience itself.

Another way to say it may be that if I can get past myself, and observe this alien world, I will get more from it. Aside from a physical threat, which I do not feel likely, any other anxiety is probably self imposed. No less real for that, but perhaps avoidable.

It is harder to be a voyeur when everyone else is staring back at me. As soon as I walk out the door of the hotel, those standing around turn and stare. I had to laugh a couple of times, as scooter/motorcycle riders turned to look back at me after passing me and almost wrecked.

I made a conscious decision to slow down a bit, at least while I am here.  This strangeness and the attention I get everywhere seems to exhaust me.  Good thing I don't have to worry about papparazi in ordinary life. Still, I won't travel all this way to hide in the hotel.

When I go into a store, a sales person either follows directly behind me the entire time, or stands directly in front of me and talks to me. In Chinese, no less.

I admire their curiosity, and I wish I could engage verbally better. Instead I smile (or grit my teeth, it looks pretty similar) and sometimes I take their picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment