Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Tashkent

There is a famous madrassa very near the place I am staying. It was constructed in the 1500's, and was a school for many years, later a caravanserai, and still later used by the Russians for secular purposes. After Uzbek independence, it was converted back to a madrassa.

Historically a madrassa education has been narrowly focused but intense within the confines of that focus. In the 1600's, a young man studying there would have been schooled in Islam, literature, ethics, math, geometry and astronomy. Instruction would have been in Arabic and Persian. Today, it is still young men only who attend, but the curriculum is expanded. It is still heavily based in the Koran and various commentaries and interpretations, but students are also taught Uzbek language, literature and history, geography, English, and physics.

After visiting a famous mosque, I wandered in the streets of the old city. I can't think of an American comparison to the way old sits beside and coexists with modern and new here.

I saw a woman walking by as I sat in the shade outside the mosque who looked English, and she was alone. So I said hello as she went by, quietly and not assuming anything, so that she was free to ignore me or just say hello and keep walking. But she stopped and we had a nice conversation, sharing stories. She is off on the train this evening. I've seen/heard so few travelers whose first language is English, it was nice to spend 20 minutes with her.

Most cars here are small, they have to be to fit the places they go. Lots of Chevy Sparks, and even a few of the old Russian cars. It's a beautiful day, but the chill of evening is falling, I am off to add layers and go in search of dinner.

3 comments:

  1. The name Tashkent evokes such exotic images of bygone eras. We have no cultural equivalent to the history of that's world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed the old/new architecture in NYC when there. I don't know how to describe the feeling of seeing it, just that it was intriguing, at least to me. One example of it that pops up is when exiting the brand new PATH (train from Jersey) station at One World Trade, with the extremely long, tall escalators, clean steel and marble lines and then being spit out onto the street and immediately seeing a revolutionary war era cemetery with weathered, unreadable markers, ancient wrought iron fencing and an old stone church. While walking around the city, one could see it in lots of places, IF one looked for it instead of past it. I liked that. Of course where you are it's probably much, much older amongst the "progress". It's almost like when one goes through boxes of "stuff" and can't bring themselves to part with something, even though it has lost it's practicality so it just gets blended in with new "stuff". I think I need a glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny. The car Lilly and I rented for safari in South Africa was a Chevy Spark. Very small cars.

    ReplyDelete