Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Monday, October 13, 2014

tentative confidence


You know how one thing builds on another, such as how an uninvited change in life ends up leading to something you would never been have considered before? Well, that's not exactly what I mean, but close enough. As I walked over to the train station from the hotel, it was dark, drizzly, the street lights were minimal at best, and it seemed I was alone in the night. I was alone, as a matter of fact. But my point has more to do with my comfort with the situation. I would not have been able to do that comfortably at one time. Looking back I can see a sort of progression, each experience pushing the limits of the prior one, whether by design or accident. In such small steps that they were not visible to me at the time, I have gained confidence in new situations, whether at work, or traveling, or some other life activity.
I suspect I will need to draw on that supply in the next week. I am excited about going to western China, but I am intimidated as well. Once again, the language is beyond me, so I will have to try to compensate in some way. There remains the possibility of failure, which of course teaches more than success; still I prefer happy results.
Meanwhile I can't help holding my breath a little.

On boarding, it became immediately apparent that I was assigned to a cabin with a railway employee, but he immediately moved me to my own cabin, which has turned out very well.  The beds are more like padded benches, and smaller too, but  the cabin has a power outlet, and best of all, it is mine alone. We rolled out of the station right on time.

With the cabin to myself, I can leave the curtains open, even at night, and watch the lights of the small stations and towns we pass. Along the way, the nature of the stations, and the settlements has changed sublty.  The shapes of the roofs, the cemeteries, the minarets and other things indicate an asian influence.  Outside the villages, there are miles and miles of steppe with no tree in sight, and grey skies.
There are only a few other passengers in this car, plus a contingent of railway employees.  Either they have a full contingent of staff for a long trip and there are just not that many of us, or some of them are riding off-duty.  They keep to themselves unless asked for something. I showed one who was walking by my cup and tea bag and asked about hot water, and he pointed to the spigot.  We have moved on to stoop/pit toilets, which is probably a heads up about what the next week will bring.

I am snug in my cabin, and life is very good right now.

We pulled into a station and I saw a couple of vendors alongside, so I went out.  They were two women with handwheeled carts which on closer inspection look like repurposed old fashioned baby buggies.  I felt slightly smug at being able to negotiate the transactions. I pulled out Yuan (Chinese currency) but she shook her head no-of course-while the staff is Chinese on the train, we are still in Kazakhstan.


When I started planning this trip, Urumqi seemed exotic and beyond my ken, and now I can see past it to so many delights and treasures.  I will only scratch the surface.




No comments:

Post a Comment