Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Wandering and being lost

It has been raining off and on all day, one time it rained hard just as I was no where close to shelter.  I have a rain coat, which I was wearing  but I had my camera in my bag and other things I didn't want to get wet.  I had just bought something at an amazing church and monastery, and so I dumped the contents of that bag into my bag, and tied the plastic bag around my actual bag.  Between that and my rolled up jeans, I was quite a sight.  Fortunately I don't think anyone was looking, they were all trying to stay dry too.

I mentioned before that I have some language challenges.  I have an index card with some words, and the Russian alphabet, and I use it to 'read' the words on the street sign so that I can find where I am on my map, which is not in Russian, but in English.


So I know that this sign says:  Malee(or ih)oy Keesehlnihee, except it doesn't. 


And this sign says Rozhlestvehnskaya. Again, not right, but then I look at my map in the area where I think I am, and try to find a name that looks a lot like what I have just spelled out.  

Sometimes I get it right away, but most of the time I have to walk around an intersection, or down to the next street to figure out where I am-so I know how to get where it is I want to go.  

Today I had fair success, except for one spectacular failure after getting off the Metro.  That is always the hardest, because there are usually multiple exits/entrances to different corners or streets, so I am not sure where I am coming up.  The lack of sunny days doesn't help, I don't usually know which way is north until I find myself on the map.  It sounds tiring, and it is, but it is also fun.  Sometimes I just wander, if the neighborhood is interesting.

I had to go pick up my onward train tickets today at an office that involved a Metro ride, which was intimidating me after my first attempt.  Eventually I bit the bullet, even got a multiple ride ticket from a machine, and got on and off at the right places.  Tomorrow I will do some more Metro riding because I am going in search of a couple of English language bookstores.

Even with the Metro, I walk pretty much all day.  I would like to find a place with pierogis, and probably have walked right by some without knowing it.  

To cross major intersections, you have to go underground, as in Warsaw.  Many of the pedestrian tunnels are basic walkways, but some have shops, musicians playing with their hats out, and access to the Metro.  All of them are a warm place to get out of the rain.  I have noticed a few beggars there, and in front of churches, and almost all of them are old women.  I saw one old woman breaking down a cardboard box this evening, presumably to sleep on?  I find this heartbreaking for some reason, and so now I have found a use for all the change that I have been collecting from every transaction.  I don't usually give money to beggars but I cannot pass these by.



5 comments:

  1. Irene,

    Love the photos. Enjoy and be safe.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene,
    I took the day off to get some work done outside, but it is raining, so I have been catching up on your last few posts. I am totally in awe of you and this adventure you are on! I really admire you, I don't know if I would have the nerve to do such a thing. Actually, I know I don't.
    I love reading your descriptions of the places, the countrysides, cities and the people. Thank you for taking the time to put so much thought into your posts. I was really touched by your description of the faces of the people at the Topography of Terrors. My fear is, history repeats itself, and has humanity really learned anything from that horrible time in history?
    Be safe and keep posting, love your pictures too! Thanks for letting all of us "tag along" on your adventure.

    Be Calm and Carry On,( ok, I couldn't resist using that catchy phrase at least once during your trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cuz. I know what you mean about the lack of sun. No easier time to get lost than on an overcast day. As for the beggar women, I wonder if they are the same as the gypsy women we saw in Italy. They were beggars and pickpockets and from what we were told, that was their lot in life: go to busy city corners and beg and bring the daily "take" back to the men in the evening. Most of the ones we saw were said to be eastern European of some sort so probably the same as what you are seeing. Continue to stay safe and adventure on! Hi Marlene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin reminds me of the issue of the Roma people in Europe (Hi Kevin, nice to meet you here!). Those women were mostly likely that. I remember being fascinated by them in Italy and the more I learnt about them, the more I got resigned to the fact that each place/region has its own sore spots. Our school guides warned us to hold tight to our bags if they entered in the bus because they are supposedly the best pickpockets in the world. They were always scorned upon and the European Union doesn't seem to know what to do with them. Apparently no one seems to know their exact number since their migratory nature and lack of permanent housing makes it hard to count them. I just found this link: http://www.livescience.com/40652-facts-about-roma-romani-gypsies.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Kevin and Abigail's points: a day after I posted this, I saw two of these women on cell phones as they stood there with their cups. Not that that means anything but it tends more toward the likelihood of what you are suggesting. Little old women get my heart strings every time. I see my mama when I see them. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete