Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Ulgii

With the early departure, and my other priorities, there was no time to find coffee or breakfast, so when I was handed a cold hamburger sandwich on Hunnu Air, I went ahead and tried it. It’s funny how hunger expands one’s gastronomical field. I’ve also modified my standards relating to coffee as the trip has progressed. I’m at the point where if it’s hot, brown, and they call it coffee, I will happily accept it.

Our two hour flight took us over mountains that went on endlessly, with what looked like huge amounts of sand nestled into the sides and filling up some of the valleys. At one point we were low enough to be able to see a ger camp along a river, far away from any other sign of humanity. Then we climbed and such details disappeared. 

The airport at Ulgii is small and informal. The door to the building was locked so we hung out along the tarmac waiting for someone to come. What developed was that the luggage is brought to the edge of the tarmac where everyone climbs on and over the carts to reclaim their own. Then we all crowd around the locked door and one beleaguered soul checks each piece of luggage against the claim ticket. While we waited I chatted with the Malaysian man from the Chinese border drama. He and three friends are en route to hiking in the Altai Mountains. 

The guide book lied. There are no taxis in this town, not one. Then again, most any car is willing to act as a taxi for you. I got lucky and got a ride in a van with 8 others to the center of town. I paid two thousand tugrik, which is something less than a dollar, I think.








No comments:

Post a Comment