Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Saturday, August 26, 2017

back streets of Beijing

It's hard to describe the narrow little back streets of Beijing. There are a lot of two and three-wheeled vehicles in use, for obvious space reasons. However, cars also use these streets, sometimes resulting in the need to shift things in order for them to get through. Yesterday as I walked, a car attempting to get through at the end of a hutong was unable to get past a motorcycle sitting beside the road, so a nearby police officer simply lifted the back of the bike up and away, with inches to spare.

I got in on the action yesterday afternoon. I was walking down the narrow street and heard the already familiar toot behind me, letting me know a car, three-wheeled motorized cart,or motorcycle was coming up behind me (bicycles have bells for this purpose). I stepped to the side behind a parked scooter and the oncoming car inched its way past another parked bike on the other side, then came toward my side. After having seen so many passing people directing such drivers as a matter of course, I indicated with my hands that the driver needed to go left, and then when it had cleared the bike, I indicated that as well. Apparently such hand signals are universal, because it worked, and I got a thumbs up from the front passenger as they slid by me.

The community toilets are still common in many of these neighborhoods, and the ones I've used are all very clean, although there is a certain odor that wafts as you pass them.









2 comments:

  1. Very cool. I picture Beijing as the sprawling modern metropolis. Very cool to see the real neighborhoods

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a sprawling modern metropolis. But the allure of cities for me is the personality and quirks that differentiate it from all the other cities of the world. While Beijing has a fantastic subway, and great food, I am more interested in the little tucked away neighborhoods with something more than concrete and steel. However, I realize that the city planners really don't have my preferences in mind when they make decisions (why not?) and quaint often is equivalent to inefficient use of space. I'm ok with that!

    ReplyDelete