Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Out on a limb

I was sitting in the window seat on the exit row for my flight from Vancouver to Calgary, which delighted me. The extra room felt like luxury. Mid-flight, I recalled the flight attendant's instructions as I looked out over the wing. Suddenly I doubt very much that I have whatever skill it is that might be essential in the event of a real in-flight emergency. Alas, it's a little late for that thought to occur. And so far in my life, I've never been on a flight that involved a crash landing, so I decided to assume this flight would continue that unbroken streak.

My eyes traveled up to the handle I am to pull down on to free the door/window in that unlikely event, and it made me wonder why it is that no one ever opens the emergency window mid-flight. I know it would mean certain death but there are all kinds of people out there, willing to do some really, um, interesting things. But you never hear. 

I hadn't given it much thought before, but it requires a certain amount of faith in our fellow humans just to leave the house most days.


2 comments:

  1. Wasn't it a few days ago when someone decided to try that handle on an American Airlines flight descending into St Paul Minneapolis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe so. I got an emergency door seat on the long flight, so there was standing space right in front of me, (and lots of leg room). We got instructed to watch the door and warn anyone away from touching it, leaning on it, etc. Scary to think they were relying on three random strangers for that. :) I was delinquent in my duty but my two seatmates took it seriously.

    ReplyDelete