Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Friday, August 25, 2017

I started the morning off with a little sink laundry, and then went in search of what there was to see. There are many hutongs (traditional neighborhoods) with small and winding streets in this area, all having been modernized, but still interesting to wander.

Let me just say that I'm not opposed to modernization, and progress does bring many good things. We humans, though, tend to erase so much history in the name of progress, and it makes me sad. Surely there is a way to do both? I get the need for space in a city this size. Just think how many more people can be housed in a 10 story apartment building than in the old single story houses. But I think it's wise to admit that we're also losing something in the bargain.

After what felt like hours, and turned out to be 8 am, I saw a Starbucks, and went in for coffee, which I had sitting on the rooftop studying my map. Then I walked for pretty much the next six hours, to Jingshan Park and Beihai Lake, which is one of the lakes in the complex that at one time was reserved for the Emperor, and the hill I climbed to get to the temple was made out of the dirt excavated to make the palace moat.

I wanted to rent a bike, but now the process involves having an app on your phone, with which you scan the code on the bike, and off  you go. It's very handy, but my phone won't work here, so I didn't bring it. And since I'm here for only a few days, it seems rather pointless. But I'd love to have a bike to ride!

Off to see if I can find some food for tomorrow's trip to the Wall, and then to see if I can find my way to the theater where I have a ticket to an acrobat show. I sure hope it's casual dress.



No comments:

Post a Comment