Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Friday, August 25, 2017

arrival

I'm falling over tired, but thought I'd let you know I've arrived safely in Beijing. Not that there was really much question about arriving. Finding my new 'home' is quite another but it's another mountain climbed.

The flight from Calgary was about 10 1/2 hours.Near the end of the flight, when some announcements were being made that I did not understand because a) they were in Chinese, and b) the English announcements were hard to hear and hard to understand. So I figured I'd know soon enough. But suddenly nearly everyone around me suddenly reached into their carryons and pulled out bananas, and commenced eating them immediately. We all looked at each other and grinned- apparently you can't take fruit and vegetables into the country, at least not without some hassles that a banana or two isn't worth.

I figured out how to navigate the Beijing subway system enough to make a transfer and arrive at the right station. I did not realize it until I got to the hotel, but I was right next to Tian'anmen Square when I got off the subway. Something for tomorrow.

My train ticket for the Beijing to Ulaan Baatar leg was delivered here a few days ago, and surprise, indeed it was here. For some reason I lacked faith that it would be here. I dropped my bags and went out wandering in the dusk, in search of the city and some dinner. The dinner I got in a restaurant that had pictures. The only word we found in common was 'beer' but I am well fed and off to bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment