Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

there's more than one way to skin a cat

Or so my mother used to say. I don't recall any cat skinning in my formative years, but the underlying concept is a useful one.

One of the things you discover, and rediscover in traveling, is that there is more than one way to do things.

The flight to Maputo was on a small plane, with one seat on the left side and two on the right side of the aisle. My cabin size rollie would not fit in the overhead bin, but there was no way I wanted to let it out of my hands. Both the Joberg and Maputo airports are notorious for having things go missing from checked bags, and I had therefore packed anything of value in my carry on. If they want my dirty socks, so be it. But my camera battery charger, for instance, that I really want to hang on to.

I tried hard to squash it under the seat in front of me. It would normally fit too, but this space was shortened by the curve of the small plane. I shoved it where my feet are supposed to go and sat with my knees close to my chin. Amazingly, the flight attendant allowed this.

More amazing the reason for our late departure. The past president of Mozambique was in the seat directly behind me. I did not realize it until landing, when we were all asked to wait while he disembarked, a car waiting right beside the plane for him.

Tyler and Lilly were the first thing I saw as I rounded the corner from Customs. What a delight to see them there!

1 comment:

  1. So cool. How exciting that you get to see what their life is like in Mozambique.

    ReplyDelete