Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Monday, November 10, 2014

on baggage

There is something freeing about having only a few choices each day as to what to wear, in being able to launder those few things in the sink every few days and let them hang dry while I'm out for the day. The only concern is that they need to be dry before I pack up and move to the next place.

Lest I be misleading, I should admit that I continue to accumulate things. Most of it is gifts, or souvenirs for myself. I've also acquired travel accoutrements such as a new plug adapter, mini SD card, a few clothing items, and at every opportunity, books.

I have a kindle app on my tablet, and some books loaded on it in case of emergency. Note that the lack of desirable reading material constitutes an emergency.  But I prefer a physical book by a wide margin.

I've also left a trail of books behind me, often in my hotel room, or a plane seat pocket, as I finish them. It leaves room to acquire more, and besides, I hope whoever finds them will enjoy them and pass them on in turn.

I try to travel lightly, but for some reason I picked up an extra toothbrush in China, and carried it with me since. That came in handy on my first day in Maputo, when I deposited my other one in the toilet. No five second rule applied!

Alas, as I near the end of my trip, I seem to attract more baggage like a magnet.

No comments:

Post a Comment