Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Monday, November 17, 2014

head in the clouds

I had a window seat for the flight into Reykjavik today.

There was a doctor next to me in coach again, so surprising! He is an Icelander, and gave me some helpful information. He also pointed out the active volcano as we flew in. He lived in the US for some years, I'm guessing during his school and residency.

This photo is the best I could get of the volcano from the plane:


The glacier poking up through the clouds:


Iceland from the air:


Then I got lost in the dark driving my rental car into Reykjavik. It's a bigger city than I realized, and I discovered that I did not actually have the address of my guesthouse, just a general location.

Once found, it turned out to be a delight. I have an entire 2 bedroom flat, with a view out over the harbor, and within a short walk from downtown. I haven't actually been downtown yet, but Bjorgvin says it's so. He also told me there are protests downtown today, but I am disinclined to go see. Instead I went to the little place across the way and shared my table with a few strangers as I ate. And now my clothes are washing themselves in a handy device known as a washing machine!

1 comment:

  1. So odd that you'd use a washing machine! I guess it's all part of your re-emersion!

    ReplyDelete