Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Sunday, November 2, 2014

safari

I went to a braii at a boma last night, or I think I did. I arrived at the camp in early afternoon. By camp I don't mean a circle of tents and outhouses. I have a lovely room with a view of a nearby water hole and air con. Some part of me prefers the tent scenario, but I'll struggle through with wi-fi and hot water.

There is an early evening and early morning game drive each day in an open safari vehicle. I was really surprised this morning at how close we could drive to the lion we came across. The drivers radio each other with significant sightings, and a lion definitely qualifies. It's chilly in the morning, but well worth it. I'm sipping my coffee in the restaurant now, and I have a whole day in front if me to do silly frivolous things like taking a nap.

The boma (not sure of the correct spelling) is an enclosure to keep wild animals out, and there were enormous fires going as we pulled up in the dark night, straight from our game drive. A braii is a barbeque, with ridiculous!ous amounts of meats and other food.  The couple that sat behind me on the safari adopted me for the braii, telling me about it and sharing their bottle of wine with me. Peter and Colleen are South Africans, and go on safari regularly. They pointed out animals and birds, and even shared their binoculars with me.

I posted a lot of the pictures already. My favorites so far are the hippos, the mama elephant and baby, the pregnant lion, and the zebras. Oh, and the giraffes. The country is beautiful, and there are some amazing birds, but the bus doesn't stop for mere birds apparently.



No comments:

Post a Comment