Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

where is the ice machine?

There are some words in Turkish that seem to either have English origins or perhaps they share a common origin.  For instance, the word Tekstil-which is pronounced something like techsteel, and refers to fabrics, etc, therefore must mean textile. 

I noticed that gas (petrol) is about 3 TL (turkish lira) per litre.  A litre is just over 1/4 of a gallon, so that's about 12 TL/gallon.  And $1= about 1.50 TL, so gas costs $8/gallon, if I did my calculations correctly.

The Turkish keyboard has a special i on it, that looks like an english i when you type it but does not function the same.  I could not figure out why I couldn't sign in at first and then someone helped me.

No ice to be had here, anywhere.  It just is not an option.

I met a young Kurdish man the other afternoon.  He was a waiter in a sidewalk cafe where I stopped for a drink and a cooldown in the midafternoon.  He was quite talkative and I did not feel able to pull out my book and ignore him.  Anyway, he asked me where I was from and I told him the U.S.  He then said he wants to go to Miami someday.  Not sure why, I would have asked but his english was not that good.  He told me he has lived in Istanbul for 4 years and comes from a village far away, in Turkey but not Turkish.  I asked what he meant and he said he is Kurdish.  So I said eastern Turkey and he said yes.  He did not say any more about it and I did not know if it was ok to ask questions but he had a sad look on his otherwise perpetually happy face when he said that.  He indicated that another waiter there is from the same place.  Everywhere in the world there are immigrants and displaced people trying to make a new life-and they end up belonging neither to the old world or their new one in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment