Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Friday, August 20, 2010

it's a small world

I think I have been successful in uploading a few more photos.  For some reason this computer won't let me download the Picasa quick uploader so not very many photos. The link is the same as the last ones, but I'll try to paste it here again.  For some reason its not acting like a link here: 
http://picasaweb.google.com/farmerrirene/Egypt1?authkey=Gv1sRgCJTp3cD3qs7ltAE&feat=directlink


You can tell where the barber shops are, because they all have little drying racks outside on the sidewalk, where they dry the towels they use and then wash.

My new hotel is what I would imagine a place where press correspondents would gather in a foreign country during a war.  It has the requisite smoky bar, restaurant, full service laundry, valet elevator and in a modern twist, offers free wi-fi.  It is called the Windsor Hotel, and you can look it up online if you like.  The website is windsorcairo.com and if you look in the picture gallery, scroll down to the 3rd photo, labeled the Windsor Lounge, I sat in the chair in the far left corner just this afternoon.  How cool is that!?  I must warn you though, the exterior shot especially is an oversell.  It's not quite so lovely from the outside now, the dirt and grime have taken over the building on the outside.  My room is lovely though. It did not come with a gentleman with a tray in hand, though, I must complain! With the elevator having to be operated by the staff, I have so far just chosen to walk down the 7 flights from my room, too much hassle to call for the car.

Ok, too much time on the computer, I'm off to find a taxi to Zamalek. I hope.

3 comments:

  1. The pictures link didn't work but it was interesting looking at the hotel website.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zamalek looks to have a very interesting history but looks very crowded now. How do you fit 1.8 million people on that small island...I was unable to see any new photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the link doesn't work, try copying and pasting the address. I tried that and it worked. Let me know, thanks.

    ReplyDelete