Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Thursday, August 19, 2010

early morning on the streets of Cairo

Early morning and the streets are quiet at last.  Ramadan went late last night, keeping me awake along with the beastly heat.  Across the alley in the building, one floor up from mine, a young man kept coming out on the balcony and throwing something in a plastic bag 5 floors down to the ground, seeming to aim for someone, and then darting into his room so they would not know who it was.  It seemed like an innocent prank, as I never heard any protests from below.  Eventually he seemed to feel the need to get credit and began calling out to a friend before he took aim.

So with the heat, I am up and out the door at 7-oops, it's 6 really, I forgot to change my travel clock time when I came to Egypt.  There's a man sleeping in the doorway sitting up, a policeman and an ATM-that's right, I need cash, great opportunity. Quiet, dirty, FILTHY streets and buildings.  Most of the buildings look as if they are old and lovely but are so coated with grime and pollution and dust that they appear dilapidated. 

I saw a boy with two plastic containers, alternating them under an air conditioner to catch the condensation run off and using the water to wash cars.  Patience is a virtue I may someday aspire to.

Taxis in the streets, but not many fares, so they are constantly beeping their horns and slowing to see if I will give them some business.  I do a quick shake of my head and look away and they move on.  This repeats itself many times during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment