Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Sunday, August 15, 2010

flight update

I'm spending a little extra time in Heathrow as I missed my connecting flight.  We sat at the gate in SF for 2 1/2 hours and I had a 3 hour layover here.  I raced like mad, cut in line at security and still did not make it.  Heathrow has 4 (5 usually but one has been demolished as England prepares for the Olympics) separate terminals which are a long way apart and the buses between them run intermittently.  Let's just say I've had the opportunity to visit 3 of the 4 terminals today and ended back at Terminal 1 to get rebooked.  In spite of the flight issues, I have never had such friendly and helpful service as I have gotten here all around.

My new flight goes at 4:30pm so I have time to type this note.  I had hoped to avoid arriving at night but there is no help for it now.  My initial plan was to take the train and tram in from the airport to Sultanahmet station and walk to a hotel from there.  Not sure now if I'll do that or take a taxi.  Arriving in a place so foreign at night can be intimidating.  However, its Ramadan right now, which means that everyone is out late at night (fasting all day until sunset).  I have no idea what the time difference is between London and SF, or Istanbul for that matter.  I'm guessing it's late evening at home, but I got some good sleep on the plane so am doing ok.  It's mid day on Sunday here. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, the joys of travel...looking forward to following your journey here. Have fun and be safe.
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger that, the joys of unpredictability! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. London is 8 hours ahead of Pacific Time zone, Istanbul is 10 hours ahead of us here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cuz! Well, at least you're half way there. Take care, love you!

    ReplyDelete