Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

la fila

I got to the Supreme Court at 7:30 this morning (they start oral arguments at 10), I was #105 in line, which meant I might get in, as there are about 150 seats in the visitor gallery.  Ah, no, that was not to be, all of the seats were taken by special guests, friends of the court, etc.  So I got in for 3 minutes, and got to hear the Chief Justice and another Justice (I could not see very well) grilling the lawyer presenting her case, about what effect her side's position would have on the right to free speech.  For those in my law classes, close your eyes and imagine a cross of Ravitch/Illsley.  Such an ordinary discussion and yet not at all ordinary!  I was left hungering for more after that little taste.  There is one more day of oral argument tomorrow, and I have to decide if I want to get up and get over there at 5:30, just to wait for 4.5 hours and maybe be told I still can't get in.  It's the last day of this year's session, so it's likely to be popular.  It is supposed to rain tomorrow, so that may influence the decision.  Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment