Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Monday, April 25, 2011

the dinner stroll

I took a walk down Columbia to the Adams-Morgan neighborhood (Clay, do you know this area?) for dinner.  David, the owner of this quaint little place, recommended a Brazilian place, so I went...and went...and went...  In fairness, he did tell me the blocks were very long.  The 1700 block went on for 3 blocks, no kidding! The lovely old row houses oozing character gave way to fairly ugly blocks of apartments and then those gave way to upscale apartment buildings, and the mix of people changed along with the housing.

I was sitting out on the sidewalk having dinner, and the two ladies at the next table were discussing their unmarried girlfriend.  I heard phrases like sexy heels and pretty soon it had moved to sarcasm and cup sizes.  Ah, the things that we assume no one can hear!

Walking back in the dusk, people still out on the stoops and children playing on the walk, it felt like a slow summer evening that would never end.  I find myself picking up the cadence of the people, and walking as they do.  Have you ever noticed that people in different places have different walking styles, mannerisms and ways deemed polite?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good trip so far. I don't think I've been in that neigborhood but can't be sure. The weather sounds lovely, I long for warm summer evenings.

    DC does have a unique energy doesn't it! Hope you get in tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete