Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Thursday, April 28, 2011

bread crumbs and maps

I usually start out the day with some ideas about what I want to do and see, and then as the day unfolds, things change.  Today I meant to walk to the National Zoo-I did not realize how close it was to where I am staying-and get breakfast somewhere along the way.  Breakfast never happened: I passed up the place I ate yesterday in favor of something new and then I never found anything open.  The skies opened up as I was walking but even that was fun.  I just put on my dorky rainjacket, with my bag like a hump on my back behind me and my little purse like a growth on my side, and kept going.  Fortunately, it did not pour for long.  This is the only rain I have had, so I'm counting myself fortunate.

I spent very little time at the zoo, being morally conflicted about them, and almost all the exhibits closed due to the rain or construction.  I could not help but feel sorry for the orangutan I saw, and so I left.

I stopped in the bathroom, where a bunch of school kids were also stopped, and overheard a little boy of maybe 3rd grade ask the chaperone he was with-'what's this?", pointing at a dispenser of feminine hygiene products.  Probably the first time he's seen such a device.  The zoo is an educational place, for sure.

My plan was then to get the Metro to Foggybottom and either rent a bike or walk along the canal.  Alas, I got lost wandering about, and ended up someplace nameless.  However, it did have a Metro station, so I changed plans and decided to go to Eastern Market for lunch.  I got lost there too, but after having replenished my energy with a NY Coney hot dog.  The only time I've been cold this trip-sitting there damp from the rain in the air conditioned restaurant, wolfing down my hotdog so I could get back out in the damp and warm air.  After lunch, I thought I was walking toward the Capitol, but it turned out I was going the other direction.  Getting lost is half the fun, finding my way home is the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment