Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The train ride to Ajmer

When I got out to the platform, I could not see anyone official to ask, so I asked a police officer.  I knew he was not there for that, but figured he would at least point me in the right direction, which he did.  It turns out there was some sort of protest that day and the train I was supposed to take had been sort of ambushed and a bunch of windows broken out.  This I heard from an Indian who spoke english I could understand and he and his wife helped me figure out where to catch my train.

The berth is a 4 bed sleeper, and I shared it with a married couple, whose sons were in the 2 bed sleeper directly across from us, and another man who felt free to pass gas and make strange noises.  They all spoke something that I can only guess is Hindi.  Fortunately the teenage son spoke a little english, so with much pantomiming, I got across that I was very tired and even though I was supposed to have the bottom bunk, I would take the top one so they could stay up and I could sleep.  Other than that it was a lot of awkward silence or they just carried on a conversation on their own.  But they did help me tell the car attendant that I needed to get off in Ajmer which we were getting to at 2:30 am.  Then I passed out!  I had not slept more than a few hours since Sunday night and boy was I feeling it by then!  I got about 5 hours which kept me sane, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment