Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Friday, October 30, 2009

time and money

Well, I seem to have my days and nights mixed up.  That nap yesterday was a mistake  I never got up!  Then at 12:30 am I was wide awake.  Today my goal is to stay up til 8 pm.  I have to get up early tomorrow anyway, I'm hoping to catch a bus that maybe leaves at 7am.  When you and the person you are asking don't speak the same language, communication is iffy at best.  But we both gave it our best!  So I'm showing up around 7 and hoping it works out.  There are other options, but I want to take the regular bus, it's not A/C and you can actually see out the windows.  Since the ride will be done around 12:30 and the windows open, that seems like the best option.  Otherwise I can take a 'deluxe' bus, which may or may not be deluxe, but for sure the windows won't open and I would freeze from the air conditioning.  But the bus station I have to catch the bus at is a little intimidating!  I went by there today, found it by accident (street signs are for wusses, they don't seem to have them here).  It was sort of like walking into a biker bar in a business suit, if you get what I mean. 

Since I was awake so early, I played with the settings on my camera, discovered I hadn't forgotten my sunscreen but had forgotten shampoo.  This is not the sort of hotel where you can go to the front counter and ask for a complimentary bottle, so I figured soap was a worthy substitute.  Besides, my hair looks like hell by 9 am anyway.  I was out and down by the ghats before daylight, surprising how many people were out also.  Apparently it's a popular time to come down and bathe at the lake (the ghats are concrete steps sort of like stadium rows without seats that lead down into the water).  This is one of the holiest festivals in Hindu religion, and this lake is the spot for it.  There are colored lights up on the foot bridge and other buildings, and in the dark they were reflecting beautifully in the water.  There was a group of women singing and there was a nice breeze.  And at that hour, no one was trying to insist that I take a flower to the lake as an offering.

Then I tramped out past the camels and discovered what looks like a gypsy camp-where all the folks from the desert that came to this to actually trade camels and cattle are.  They were not too friendly to me, I suppose because I was a woman alone, so I did not hang out long.

For anyone who's looking for a cheap adventure, this might even beat Thailand so far.  I paid about 150 rupees for food yesterday, and it takes about 45 rupees to make a dollar.  Of course, I'm not eating a lot.  It's too hot and I'm a little shy of the street food just yet.  I haven't had any meat at all, it is not readily to be found anyway and I'm not sure it's a good idea.  Lots of water, LOTS.  It's in the low 90's and quite dry (we are in the desert here, just outside of town are the sand dunes) so I'm drinking more water than I ever have in my life.

I'm trying to upload some photos while I'm typing this.  At 20 rupees an hour, I can afford the computer time, and it's hot outside right now.  If I am successful, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment