Grand adventure

Grand adventure
the unknown road

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Be careful what you look for, you might find it

I'm wondering tonight what it is I go in search of. Certainly not places like this. In my imagination it is a delightful village with interesting, interactive people who are willing to include a stranger in their midst, some really good food, sights I've never seen, and some adventure to boot. Not asking too much, am I? I wondered today when I might settle down, or grow up, or some such thing, and cease this necessary search. I found a hotel, if one can call it that-along the water that fronts La Palma. More accurately, it sits on the water. All of the buildings closest to the water actually sit on piers, or stilts, over the water. Just outside my room is a lovely balcony that overlooks the bay, and I feel certain that either the sound of the lapping water or my fan will lull me to sleep tonight. I'd like to try to upload some photos but haven't taken very many so far. I have plans to rise early tomorrow and photograph this little village before there are so many looking back at me, but I'll wake whenever I awake, because my travel alarm's batteries are dead. One would think I would have checked that before leaving home, but congruent with all else about this trip, I did not. It will really only matter on the day I need to catch a flight home anyway. I'm willing to let a little fate be my guide for now. I don't even know the time difference between here and home, because what does it matter, really? I'm sitting on the street now, near the free wi-fi connection that is available at various points on the street. Imagine if you will, a small village built into the side of a hill overlooking the water. Most are clapboard buildings, some concrete. I can hear the sounds of family life all around- not much air conditioning, so not very many closed windows either. And the ubiquitous sound of music down the street. I saw a disco bar earlier and wandered in to get a look. Sure enough, a disco ball revolving in the ceiling and music so loud it would have been impossible to hear someone say anything. The food choices seemed to be fish or chicken or pork with rice, although I am sure there is more if one knows where to look. I had a moment of panic earlier, after we arrived looking a bit like a boatload of refugees. I walked the street between the buildings on the water and it was sort of like walking a gauntlet. I consider it good practice for, I don't know, maybe when I am crowned Queen of Something. I failed to wave at the onlookers though. The panic came when I went to a hotel and was told they had no habitaciones. Oh shit. What if there are no rooms in the town? I did not think there were any other guests at that place, they simply didn't want to be bothered. As I walked to the only other hotel I could see, i came up with a backup plan. I would go hang out in the Catholic Church until they kicked me out and then maybe they would find me a bed for the evening. Pretty sad plan, huh? But it was clear there was no leaving tonight, so I broke out in a bit of a sweat. Fortunately that plan was not needed because Pension Tuira had rooms-all of them. I am the only guest, as far as I can tell. And I'm not Catholic, which might have hurt my chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment